Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Seward's Folly Days Whatever: I got bored of this

The rest of Alaska ranged from okay to badass. Anchorage was a shanty town as far as I could tell, but Seward, Alaska was fucking badass. My dad and I went to a salty old sailor bar full of drunk as heck old dudes, really homely women, and whale jaws and shit all over the walls. It was so legit it hurt.

We went on a wonky tourist cruise that I planned to have no fun on, but it turned out to be boss and, excuse me for sounding girly, inspirational. There's an island around the Seward area that was invaded by the Japanese in WWII, so there are abandoned cliffside army bases with machine gun nests all along the coast. We saw a humpback whale flipping around, going crazy and stuff. We saw sea lions barking up a storm and being all like lazy fat sea dogs. We saw otters a hair's breadth from having wild otter sex. We hiked through the rainforest to a glacier. The ocean is fucking rad.

That's an illustration of my final decision regarding Alaska. Sell everything above the red line to Canada or whatever. It's the right choice.

So now I'm done complaining about Alaska. Sorry if the past week was boorish and insulting.

Today we've added a new regularly contributing member of the GSS: Olivia. I went to middle school with Olivia and she probably beat the shit out of me because I sucked in middle school, but she's way cool and will most likely write much better and more illuminating things than Max ever could. Olivia has another blog that maybe you could check out????

No comments:

Post a Comment