Thursday, November 18, 2010

Welp

Julia made GSS' first "try-hard" post, making the rest of us look like idiots. I hate to knock it out of the headline position with my childish language and tenuous grasp of sentence structure, but I wanted to seize this moment of intelligent discourse to say my own piece.

No, Julia, other artists have not commented on my blog, and I'm pretty sure no one at this school besides my gf (girlfriend) has seen it. SAIC is the sort of place that shuns narrative storytelling, which my current Pancho and Lefty work is, in favor of conceptual work, which I'm terrible at. The stuff I've shown in class hasn't gotten any negative reactions, but a combination of distrust of artsy morons and low self esteem has forced me to keep my head down and work on my piece in solitude until it's something I'm a little more comfortable showing off. Thankfully, two of my animation teachers are commercial animators (one is the animator of the Trix and Lucky Charms commercials) so while everyone else is showing pieces about their menstrual cycle or whatever, I can talk to them about like Duck Tales or some shit.
I'm not really sure why conceptual work is hard for me to do... I just don't want to fucking do it, man. I want to build new stuff to make people happy, not poke around in my own brain trying to find and explore like my repressed and shameful sexual fetishes. The School of the Fart Institute.

I've been totally horrifying myself lately with thoughts like, "in Montana, I wouldn't have to wait so god damned long to cross the street. No one would be honking their horns in Montana. A man is surely more free in Big Sky Country, yes sir." I never wanted to be one of those small town assholes who thrive in quiet solitude, but I can't help it. I've started listening to Johnny Cash and Gordon Lightfoot of all things and just being totally lame. I have multiple pieces of Montana clothing and hipsters are always like, "you aren't really from Montana, are you?" and then I'm all, "yes, asshole." I just want my snow and my fresh mountain air.

ladies: in montana it's okay to make out with a horse

Chicago has been more than good to me so far, though, so I guess I'll deal.

Other current mind-boggling music obsessions include:

The song Highwayman - Johnny Cash in space? Yes, please.

Billy Joel - I don't understand this one, but Movin' Out is a good song.

Fucking Wagon Wheel - I hate this song, but it makes me think of MT so I've listened to it about 8,000 times in the past few weeks.

That's all I've got. Read Julia's post below. It's much better.

PS: Hell yes 6,000 hits

we're big in fiji

2 comments:

  1. if anyone bugs on your montana shirt that i got to you can punch them in the throat and tell them it's from me. i'm like you sam. i don't like big cities. i could never live in one for more than a year. and billy joel is the shit. period.
    um, conceptual art is for pansies and people that can't come up with anything original so they have to dig shit out of their own brains and try to make it seem like it's art. most art is just masturbation if you ask me. narrative bullshit about how your mom drank a lot and your dad really wanted you to play football. (notice i say most, not all)

    anyhoo. miss you. keep your chin up and fuck you for getting wagon wheel stuck in my head for the next eight days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam! I have to wait for-fucking-ever to cross the street here, too. I totally want to be a small town hermit when I come back home so I can indulge in all kinds of rampant introspection. I bet that's the only way Johnny Cash thought about how cool it would be to fly a starship across the universe divide. He wasn't waiting for any damned light to change to cross the street.

    ReplyDelete